We love Mexican cuisine and it’s on our menu plan weekly – everything from Taco Salad to Chile Verde Soup. I enjoy making my own Pico de Gallo with tomatoes freshly picked from my tomato plants in my garden, but in the dead of winter – I turn to this quick recipe. I try to avoid purchasing tomatoes off season – the price and taste just doesn’t compare to their summery counterparts.I can easily snag these Muir Glen whole peeled tomatoes on sale at our local Whole Foods or Sprouts. If you’re concerned about the BPA, Jovial makes a great product. I like the chunky onion bits and vibrant cilantro and you get this texture by adding them towards the very end and pulsing them so as not to completely blend everything. By the way, have I mentioned, this is done in a blender. I wasn’t kidding when I meant 5 minutes.You probably have most of the ingredients on hand already. This is an incredibly easy recipe to whip up in under 5 minutes and can even be cultured if you leave it out at room temperature to ferment for a day or two for an added benefit of natural probiotics.
- 28 oz whole, peeled tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, separated
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cilantro bunch, separated
- 1T pickled jalapenos (optional)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1t sea salt (most likely more, but this is a good place to start)
- pepper to taste
- Toss tomatoes (with juice), ½ onion, garlic, ½ cilantro, jalapenos, lime juice, salt and pepper in a blender and blend on high for 1 minute.
- Add remaining onion and cilantro and pulse for 5 seconds three times or until you reach desired consistency. I like it a bit chunky.
This post has been shared on: Try a Bite Tuesday | Clever Chicks | Anti-Procrastination Tuesday | Tickle My Tastebuds | Turn It Up Tuesdays | Wednesday Showcase | Whimsy Wednesdays | Wonderful Wednesday | Allergy Free Wednesday | Healthy Living Link Up | Homestead Blog Hop | Full Plate Thursday | Gluten Free Fridays | FoodieFriDIY | Weekend Blog Hop | Our Simple Homestead | Real Food Fridays | Funtastic Friday | Savoring Saturdays | Simply Natural Saturdays | Homemade Mondays | What’d You Do This Weekend? | Merry Monday | The Art of Homemaking | Inspire Me Mondays | Happiness is Homemade |